You can change politics…
The AIA/WA Political Action Committee (APAC) contributes to political campaigns that support the best design practices in Washington. Whether you’re a public-works firm that seeks fair competition and a robust capital budget or a private/commercial firm that seeks a fair contract law or equal business environment, APAC has you covered.Donate Today Make a Recurring Donation Download Brochure (PDF)
Message from the 2014 APAC Chair
Contributions raised for APAC remind state lawmakers and candidates about architects and how the built environment impacts our environment as well as our communities.
Dave Huotari, AIA 2014 AIA/Past President / APAC Chair
How We Support Your Firm
We support the campaigns of candidates who can improve the quality of architecture throughout the state.
AIA/WA members look at the candidate’s record and positions in the following areas:
- Does the candidate understand the importance of Quality-Based Selection in public works?
- Do they support equal opportunity standards?
- Will the state’s capital budget be seen as investment to drive private development or a hinderance?
Codes & Planning
- Does the candidate support accessibility codes (like the ADA) or energy codes?
- Do they support historic preservation?
- Does the candidate understand shoreline or growth management?
- Does the candidate understand the importance of LEED & the IGCC and its savings to clients and our environment?
- Do they support innovations in green design such as rainwater capture, on-site gray water reclamation, etc.?
- Does the candidate want schools that minimize environmental impact on students while saving their districts money?
Tax & Regulation
- Does the candidate support architectural education?
- Do they understand how taxes impact firms that pay a myriad of consultants?
- Does the candidate support fair contracts and indemnification?
2019 Civic Design Awards Winners Announced
Join us for our 4th annual Advocacy Summit Oct. 24th
AIA WA Council Welcomes new Executive Director
A big thank you to Jeffrey Hamlett, who retired as Executive Director at the end of June. Tammie Sueirro has replaced Jeffrey as AIA|WA's new Executive Director.
Where Your Donation is Spent
Political campaigns are expensive to maintain and operate. We target political races where our limited funds matter: close races where our dollars make the difference or new candidates who need to learn the importance of the built environment. Here’s how that money is spent:
Goes directly to architect-supported campaigns, not the candidates. We don’t wine and dine; we advocate and educate.
Goes to administrative costs, such as postage, printing costs, bank fees, etc.