Advocacy in Action
Join AIA Washington Council for Advocacy in Action, a free, 3-part webinar series on how architects can effectively advocate for the issues most important to you. (LUs available)
AIA Washington Council advocates on behalf of our members on a range of issues, including:
- Climate change and the role of the built environment in addressing carbon emissions and energy efficiency.
- Housing issues, including zoning reform to support urban density and policies that provide more types of housing for all types of residents and more funding to address homelessness.
- Licensing and professional practice issues like project delivery, capital budget funding, and more.
- Ways for architects to get involved in issues related to social justice reform, including criminal justice .reform, a more progressive state tax system, state laws related to law enforcement, and funding for a wide array of programs aimed at providing greater equity for Washington residents
AIA Washington Council’s Advocacy in Action series aims to turn you into an architect advocate on these or any issue that is important to you. It is designed for emerging professionals and students (you do not have to be a current AIA member) – but everyone is welcome. In this 3-part webinar, you will discover how AIA works to protect the profession and address our core values, as well as how you can play an important role.
- Learn how you can impact the political process.
- Build skills and confidence to advocate on issues that are important to you.
- Gain in-depth knowledge of the Washington legislative process and how AIA participates.
- Learn from seasoned architect advocates.
- Share your opinions on the issues most important to you and how you would like to see AIA activate on your behalf.
Join us and become part of AIA’s roster of architect advocates! Participate in one webinar or all three – each will be worth one Learning Unit. You do not need to be a member of AIA to participate.
Register via the button below for one session or all three:
Session 1: Advocacy 101 – Thursday, Nov. 4 12-1 pm
- What is advocacy?
- Role of advocacy at AIA
- How to get involved
- Best practices for advocacy
- AIA’s contract lobbyist, Brad Boswell
- Rep. Jessica Bateman (D-Olympia) on how legislators receive advocacy
Session 2: Key Issues – Thursday Nov. 11 12-1 pm
- Review of AIA issues at the state government level
- Real world experience makes a world of difference: a lobbyist’s perspective
- Hear from Rep. Skyler Rude (R-Walla Walla) – invited
Session 3: Advocate! Applying What You’ve Learned – Thursday Nov. 18 12-1 pm
- Legislative process: the Olympia blueprint
- What’s next: opportunities
- Feedback: how do you want to engage?
Questions: Tammie Sueirro, AIA|WA Executive Director: firstname.lastname@example.org