Join us for Advocacy in Action, a free, 3-part webinar series on how architects can effectively advocate for the issues most important to you.
AIA Washington Council advocates on behalf of our members on a range of issues, including:
- Climate change and the role of the built environment in addressing carbon emissions and energy efficiency
- Housing issues, including zoning reform to support urban density and policies that provide more types of housing for all types of residents and more funding to address homelessness
- Licensing and professional practice issues like project delivery, capital budget funding, and more
- This year, we’re also be tracking ways for architects to get involved in issues related to social justice reform, including criminal justice .reform, a more progressive state tax system, state laws related to law enforcement, and funding for a wide array of programs aimed at providing greater equity for Washington residents
AIA Washington Council’s Advocacy in Action series aims to turn you into an architect advocate on these and other issues that are important to you. It is designed for emerging professionals and students (you do not have to be a current AIA member) – but everyone is welcome. In this 3-part webinar, you will discover how AIA works to protect the profession and address our core values, as well as how you can play an important role.
- Learn how you can impact the political process
- Build skills and confidence to advocate on issues that are important to you
- Gain in-depth knowledge of the Washington legislative process and how AIA works to represent architects’ interests.
- Learn from seasoned architect advocates
- Share your opinions on the issues most important to you and how you would like to see AIA activate on your behalf
Join us and become part of AIA’s roster of architect advocates! Participate in one webinar or all three – each will be worth one Learning Unit. You do not need to be a member of AIA to participate.
Questions: Tammie Sueirro, firstname.lastname@example.org
Register for each event separately via the boxes below, or for all three at once by clicking here:
Advocacy 101 – Friday Oct. 30 12-1 pm
- What is advocacy?
- Role of advocacy at AIA
- How to get involved
- Best practices for advocacy
Key Issues – Friday Nov. 6 12-1 pm
- Review of AIA issues at the state government level
- Real world experience makes a world of difference: a lobbyist’s perspective
- Guests: Brittany Porter, AIA, Associate, Weber Thompson; Brad Boswell, AIA|WA’s state lobbyist
Advocate Town Hall – Friday Nov. 13 11:30 am – 1 pm
- You tell us
- What issues are you most interested in?
- How do you want to participate?
- How do you feel the most engaged?
- How do we engage you?
- What’s next?
This event will feature small group discussions with your opportunity to tell us how AIA can be most relevant to you.
Guest: AIA|WA Board of Directors; Jason Bond, AIA, Architect, Integrus Architecture-Spokane